IWMI at COP27
Hybrid Event, Sharm El-Sheikh (Egypt) | 06 to 18 November 2022
IWMI’s presence and participation at COP27 seek to communicate an urgent and clear message to climate negotiators and policymakers: Transforming water systems to strengthen water security is central to climate action and must serve as the foundation for a climate-resilient future. As a global leader in identifying, refining, and implementing innovative water-based climate solutions, IWMI will use COP27 as a platform to engage with current and prospective partners, media outlets, donors, and other key stakeholders in the water and climate arenas.
The Water Pavilion: one water voice
This year’s COP will feature the Water Pavilion for a second consecutive year. The Pavilion will mobilize more than 30 different global organizations, institutions, governments, and companies committed to raising awareness of the role of water for climate. Together the partner organizations have developed an ambitious programme centred around ten different themes. IWMI are co-leading two thematic days at the Water Pavilion on DRR and Sustainable Cities for improved Livelihoods (10 November) and on Climate Smart Agriculture for Food Security, Adaptation, Sustainability (11 November).
Located within the COP27 Blue Zone, the Pavilion will host in-person events and livestream virtual events throughout the conference. Most sessions can be followed online – click on the logo below to check out the programme.
IWMI will also be organizing and participating in several official sessions, side events and networking events. Below you will find a list of events either co-organized by IWMI or featuring IWMI contributions. More information will be added to this list as it becomes available. Check back often for updates.
Webcast and interview coverage
- Water Pavilion, Thematic Day 3: DRR and Sustainable Cities for improved Livelihoods
- Water Pavilion, Thematic Day 4: Climate Smart Agriculture for Food Security, Adaptation, Sustainability
- Water Pavilion, Thematic Day 7: Water for Biodiversity and Nature Based Solutions
- UK Pavilion, Transformational approaches to Water Security and Investment
- Interview with Youssef Brouziyne – IWMI Representative and CGIAR Water Systems Lead – MENA (Arabic only)
- IPCC AR6 water security conclusions & launch of the Expanded Water Tracker for National Climate Plans
- The power of water: the unexplored potential for climate resilience
- How IWMI is engaged in the global climate agenda
- IWMI’s work on Water, Climate Change and Resilience
- Brief: IWMI’s role in creating climate-resilient water-secure solutions
- Brief: Transformative Futures for Water Security Dialogue
- MENA Drought project
- Al Murunah project: Building Climate Resilience through Enhanced Water Security in MENA
- Water reuse in Middle East and North Africa: A sourcebook