World Wetlands Day celebrates the importance of wetlands around the world.
Highly productive and biologically diverse, wetlands are of great importance to both people and the environment. They play a key role in the water cycle, acting like a sponge and purifier; they are home to thousands of animal and plant species, and they directly support the livelihoods of people around the world.
- To learn more about the benefits of wetlands, view our infographic.
- To find out which Ramsar-designated wetlands are closest to you, click here.
- Are you wise about wetlands? Test your knowledge in our World Wetlands Day 2015 quiz.
- See our Wetlands on the move news story about a new map that shows the world’s wetlands more accurately than ever before.
- Find out more about how wetlands can be sustainably managed – read Wetlands and People