Water Resources and Wetlands e-Atlas
The first phase of the Water Resources and wetlands e-Atlas has taken off and the first task of preparing an Overview has been completed. The Water Resources and Wetlands e-Atlas, collaboration between UNEP, IUCN, IWMI, Water Systems Analysis Group and WRI is a web-based information service forms a part of the Comprehensive Assessment of Water Management in Agriculture. This will link, integrate and communicate freshwater information in support of integrated water resources management. More information on this project is available here.
The Comprehensive Assessment Secretariat commissioned literature searches on Wetlands and Dams. The results are accesible below.
Scope: The effects of irrigation on wetland ecosystems in developing countries. The relationship between agricultural water use and environment.
- Adverse and beneficial effects/impacts of rice irrigation on ecological resources, particularly on wildlife populations and communities
Citations [970 records]
Books and book chapters, Technical reports, Meetings and online articles
Organizations [63 records]
Scope: What are the major/minor dams/diversions and irrigation projects in developing countries?
- What was the purpose of these projects?
- What were the negative and beneficial impacts (sociological, ecological/environmental, health and economic)?
- What specific methods were used in the assessments?
- What was the time frame of activity of the projects, scale and if monitoring took place when did it occur, time period?
- What are the wetland sites identified to date by the Ramsar Convention?
- How many case studies on dams/irrigation projects/wetlands (completed and on-going)?
- How many case studies relate to irrigation and wetlands/environment and in particular, irrigated rice and its relationship to the ecosystem?
Citations [51 records]